Scholarships provide an early promise of a smooth undergraduate program. Similar to other high-value scholarships, the Coolidge Scholarship covers the expenses of the recipients for as long as four years of undergraduate study at a university on United States soil.
Should you be looking for a scholarship that will significantly bolster your finances as an undergraduate at the university, the Coolidge Scholarship is one of your surest bets. You apply for the scholarship as a high school junior and should you be selected as a finalist, you will be interviewed in Vermont.
We have answered questions we believe you may have regarding the scholarship. We have also provided tips to help you win the scholarship and the benefits of the scholarship.
COOLIDGE SCHOLARSHIP: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
The Coolidge Scholarship is an annually awarded, full-ride, presidential scholarship that covers a student’s tuition, room, board, and expenses for four years of undergraduate study should he qualify for the scholarship. The Coolidge may be used by recipients at any accredited American college or university. It is open to citizens of any background, pursuing any academic discipline of study. The scholarship is non-partisan and a need-blind program.
Students apply for the Coolidge Scholarship during their junior year of high school. If you are a finalist, you will be flown in for a finalist weekend at the Coolidge Historic Site in Plymouth Notch, Vermont where you interview with the Coolidge Scholars Finalist Jury. Recipients of the Coolidge Scholarship are notified of their award in late May of their junior year, before college application. This prevents high school seniors from applying for the scholarship.
The Coolidge Scholarship is in honour of Calvin Coolidge, a man who worked hard in academics; the young New Englander’s only sport was public speaking, often on public policy. The main criterion that distinguishes Coolidge Scholars therefore is academic excellence. Secondary criteria include the demonstration of interest in public policy, and an appreciation for the values Coolidge championed, as well as humility, service, and leadership.
HOW MANY COOLIDGE SCHOLARSHIPS ARE AWARDED
Every year, two or three students receive the Coolidge Scholarship. As recorded in 2020, about 3,200 applications were received. This makes the scholarship a tough one to get.
While between two and three recipients are selected for the scholarship, up to ten applicants become finalists. Finalists receive a one-time $5,000 scholarship. They attend the finalist weekend at the Coolidge Historic Site in Plymouth Notch, Vermont. During the weekend, they interview with the Coolidge Scholars Finalist Jury. The costs of travel and lodging are covered for finalists and one parent.
The other opportunity applicants have is to become a Coolidge Senator. The top one hundred applicants who don’t become Coolidge Scholars can become Coolidge Senators. This prestigious program awards a one-time scholarship of $1,000. Coolidge Senators attend the Senators’ Summit every summer in Washington, D.C. They explore D.C. and learn about President Coolidge. They also meet the other student senators from across the country. Students are considered for the Senators Program when they apply for the Coolidge Scholarship. There is no separate application.
FIELD OF STUDY
The Coolidge Scholarship can be used in any field you choose. The important thing is that you demonstrate the values of Calvin Coolidge.
The scholarship is open to residents of the United States. This includes immigrants who stay legally in the United States.
The worth of the Coolidge Scholarship is $30,000 paid over four years.
To qualify for the Coolidge Scholarship, you must:
- Be in high school currently. You should note that the scholarship is not open to high school seniors, however.
- The institution of your choice administers a four-year program. This is because the scholarship is only tenable here.
- Be a legal resident of the United States.
- Not be an immediate family member of any employee or trustee of the Coolidge Foundation.
- Submit all required documents before the deadline.
HOW TO APPLY
The application for Coolidge Scholarship requires you to submit your transcript, SAT or ACT score, two quality essays, your resume, and two letters of recommendation. Kindly note that the recommendation letters have to be from your teacher and a member of your community that knows you but is not related to you.
You can proceed to apply for the scholarship by following this link.
The application for the 2023 edition is yet to commence. You should check back later to see when it does.
TIPS TO WIN THE COOLIDGE SCHOLARSHIP
- Have a strong academic performance: A convincing transcript will be the first and critical parameter considered. That does not only mean achieving As in most of your classes, but it means challenging yourself to the hardest ones available. For this reason, you may have to take your academics seriously as a sophomore or a freshman.
- Demonstrate leadership skills: One of the criteria, although secondary, by which the Coolidge Scholarship is awarded is your leadership skills. Your involvement in school organisations goes a long way when you apply for this scholarship.
- Be humble and be involved in community services: This is another one of Calvin Coolidge Scholarship values. You can demonstrate service through a history of volunteerism. Now that does not mean you volunteered at the local soup kitchen once so that it can go on a resume. They are looking for a deeper connection to others. Spending a year assisting veterans at a retirement community several times a week can prove greater humility than travelling around the world helping in developing countries. You can also be involved in your community by partaking in research.
- Show in your essay how you understand federalism’s benefit and how power is balanced between a national hub, state, and local government. The Coolidge Scholarship also values those who appreciate the free market and a smaller government. If you are not already taking economics classes, government, and politics courses, you may want to sign up now. But don’t be discouraged from applying if you are not seeking a major or career in public policy and government. As long as you clearly show these attributes, you will be considered.
BENEFITS OF WINNING THE COOLIDGE SCHOLARSHIP
- Everything a college undergraduate needs are covered in the Coolidge scholarship; tuition, room, and board are all taken care of for all four years of study. There is even a stipend for books and school supplies! The total dollar amount provided varies from year to year but averages about $33,000 annually for a small number of selected scholars.
- The Coolidge scholarship provides more than just a dollar amount, it is a relationship with the foundation over 4 years of study. This can turn into a lifelong relationship. The young scholars spend several days each summer throughout their college years in Plymouth Notch, Vermont – the village where Calvin Coolidge was sworn in as president on 3 August 1923.
How to Apply: You can apply for the Coolidge Scholarship by submitting your transcript, ACT or SAT score, and letters of recommendation at the official site. You will find the link above.
Supporting Documents: Transcript, proof of ACT score, letters of recommendation.
Basic Requirements: To be eligible for the scholarship, you must be a resident of the United States, plan to enrol for a four-year program at an accredited institution, and not have an immediate family member who doubles as an employee or trustee of the Coolidge Scholarship.
Language Requirement: A sufficient understanding of the English Language.
Coolidge Scholarship official website: Visit here.
Calvin Coolidge Presidential Foundation: Visit here.
The life of Calvin Coolidge: Visit here.
Facebook profile of the Calvin Coolidge Foundation: Visit here.
Twitter profile of the Calvin Coolidge Foundation: Visit here.
Administrator: Calvin Coolidge Presidential Foundation.
Departments: All departments.
Nationality: International, Domestic.
Language requirement: Applicants must have a sufficient understanding of the English Language.
What is the Coolidge Scholarship?
The Coolidge Scholarship is one of the most generous scholarships in the world. As a program of the Calvin Coolidge Presidential Foundation, it is America’s unconditional merit scholarship which is open to only high school juniors who enrol full-time at an accredited United States college or university for the first time in fall 2022.
Who runs the Coolidge Scholarship?
The scholarship is run by the Coolidge Foundation. It is established in honour of the late Calvin Coolidge.
How can I apply for the scholarship?
You can apply for the Coolidge Scholarship by submitting your transcript, ACT or SAT score, and letters of recommendation at the official site. You will find the link above.
What course can I study with the scholarship?
With the Coolidge Scholarship, you can study any course of your choice.
Is the scholarship renewable?
The Coolidge Scholarship is renewable. Should you win the scholarship as a high school junior, you can renew the scholarship for the length of your four-year program.
What are the requirements to be eligible for the scholarship?
To be eligible for the scholarship, you must be a resident of the United States, plan to enrol for a four-year program at an accredited institution, and not have an immediate family member who doubles as an employee or trustee of the Coolidge Scholarship.
Can I apply for the scholarship as a high school senior?
No, you can only apply for the Coolidge Scholarship if you are a high school junior.
Can I apply for the scholarship if I am a freshman at a university?
You can only apply for the Coolidge Scholarship if you are a high school junior.
Must I understand the English Language to apply for the scholarship?
Yes, a sufficient understanding of the English Language is necessary should you plan to be considered for the scholarship.
Is the scholarship need- or merit-based?
The Coolidge Scholarship is merit-based. The primary criterion by which recipients of the scholarship are selected is the academic excellence they have demonstrated. Other factors are also considered, however.
Will there be an assessment test after I have submitted my application?
No, there will be no assessment test after you apply for the Coolidge Scholarship. As a finalist, however, you will be interviewed.
Will I have to write an essay?
Yes, the application for the last edition of the Coolidge Scholarship required applicants to write essays about the Autobiography of Calvin Coolidge.
The Coolidge Scholarship presents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for you as a high school junior who intends to attend an accredited university in the United States for four years. As a reward for academic excellence and your demonstration of other values highly revered by Calvin Coolidge in his life, you get up to $30,000 per year from the scholarship should you be selected as one of the winners of the scholarship.
We hope the information you have found here proves enough to get you one of the two/three spots available at Coolidge Scholarship for the next edition. Best of luck!