The benefits of scholarships are huge. By winning one, the award makes the time you dedicated to applying for the scholarship worthwhile. With a scholarship like the NHS Scholarship, you get a full-ride scholarship that significantly makes your college experience better.
Scholarships provide an opportunity for you to earn an education. Without assistance from an outside source, deserving students may have trouble paying for college. This is why we have researched the best tips to win the NHS Scholarship and the benefits you get from this scholarship and other scholarships.
You will find succinct answers to questions that you may have about the scholarship in the latter part of the article in the case you are looking for brief answers. We hope the information you find here is enough to win you the NHS Scholarship. Vamos!
NHS SCHOLARSHIP: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
The sponsor of the NHS Scholarship, the National Honor Society is committed to helping students achieve their secondary education goals. To achieve this objective, NHS provides the resources to students and their families to help with the planning process.
Since its inception in 1946, more than $19 million in scholarships has been awarded to outstanding NHS senior members. The scholarship program is supported by the parent organization of NHS, the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP).
The last edition of the scholarship saw 600 awards given to students who have proven to be deserving of the scholarship. The national winner had an award worth $25,000, twenty-four (24) finalists received $5,625, while 575 semifinalists received $3,200 each.
FIELD OF STUDY
The NHS Scholarship can be used for any undergraduate degree.
You must be a resident of the United States to apply for this scholarship.
- 1 National Winner – $25,000 scholarship.
- 24 national finalists – $5,625 scholarship.
- 575 national semifinalists – $3,200 scholarship.
- Total scholarships awarded: 600.
Eligible applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a high school senior.
- An active NHS member in good standing.
- Currently enrolled at a school with an affiliated NHS chapter.
- Graduating in the spring of 2022.
- Planning to enrol at a post-secondary college or university in the fall of 2022.
The NHS scholarship program is a one time award of financial aid that expires after four years. Selected members may use the funds to offset the costs of higher education. The award may also be used for college, military school, or trade school in the United States.
HOW TO APPLY
The selection for this scholarship has four pillars selection criteria: leadership, scholarship, character and service. Therefore, students must highlight these four areas in their application.
- Leadership: Student leaders solve problems and add value through ideas and actions.
- Scholarship: You must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and a grade average of at least 85 or B.
- Character: NHS members show high standards for honesty, respect, teamwork, and reliability.
- Service: Students must show they volunteer in their school or community.
In addition to these areas, the financial needs of the student are taken into account. The scholarship is valid for up to four years after its award.
To begin the application process, you set up an online student account here. Then, once your NHS adviser verifies your membership, you use your login to access the application form.
The application for the scholarship is due on 1 December 2022.
TIPS TO WIN THE NHS SCHOLARSHIP
- Write a strong essay: When you apply for the NHS Scholarship, you will need to write an essay. Ensure you give your best when you write on the given topic. Research the topic properly, use the right words, and tender a convincing argument.
- Get letters of recommendation from reputable people: You might be required to submit recommendation letters from teachers, coaches, mentors, etc. Ideally, these people can speak to your strengths in academics, community service, and potential to thrive in college. Before you begin any scholarship application, ensure you have this ready so that it minimises the stress.
- Have a strong academic performance: Your GPA speaks volumes about your devotion to academics. The NHS Scholarship considers this strongly. Having a stellar academic performance gives you an extra opportunity.
- Complete the application before the deadline: For every scholarship, applications submitted after the fixed deadline will not be considered. This is why you might want to start your application early so that you will have the luxury of time to properly go over every detail before the deadline.
BENEFITS OF WINNING THE NHS SCHOLARSHIP
- The NHS Scholarship pays for your education and can actually reduce your risk of dropping out and not getting the degree you want. By reducing your financial concerns, a scholarship can mean more time for learning and studying, which can lead to better grades and increase your chances of continuing on to postgraduate studies.
- A scholarship like the NHS Scholarship can make you a more attractive job candidate. Employers who understand the competitive nature of the scholarship will recognise it as an accomplishment that demonstrates your excellent academic capabilities. Scholarships are accomplishments worth listing on your resume and will surely help you stand out when you search for a job.
- The money and security afforded by winning the NHS Scholarship allow you to be more selective regarding how you spend your free time. Students can then use this time wisely and make the most of it. Instead of working at any minimum-wage job you can find to support yourself, you can select work that is meaningful that also adds value to your degree.
How to Apply: To begin the application process, you set up an online student account here. Then, once your NHS adviser verifies your membership, you use your login to access the application form.
Supporting Documents: No supporting document is required.
Basic Requirements: You must be a resident of the United States, be enrolled in a high school as a senior, and have a GPA of 3.0 or more.
Language Requirement: Sufficient understanding of the English Language.
NHS official website: Visit here.
Learn more about the NHS Scholarship: Visit here.
FAQs about NHS Scholarship: Visit here.
Past winners of the NHS Scholarship: Visit here.
Facebook profile of NHS: Visit here.
Twitter profile of NHS: Visit here.
Departments: All departments.
Language requirement: Applicants must have a sufficient understanding of the English Language.
What is the NHS scholarship?
The NHS Scholarship provides the resources to students and their families to help with the planning process. Since the inception of the NHS Scholarship in 1946, more than $19 million in scholarships has been awarded to outstanding NHS senior members.
Who runs the scholarship?
The scholarship is run and administered by NHS.
How can I apply for the scholarship?
Kindly check the HOW TO APPLY section to see the walkthrough of the application.
What course can I study with the scholarship?
You can study any course of your choice with the NHS Scholarship.
Is the scholarship renewable?
The NHS Scholarship is a one-time payment. However, you can stall the collection of the award for four years after you first win it.
What are the requirements to be eligible for the NHS scholarship?
You must be a resident of the United States, be enrolled in a high school as a senior, and have a GPA of 3.0 or more.
Can I apply for the scholarship as a high school senior?
Yes, you can.
Can I apply for the scholarship if I am a freshman at a university?
No, the NHS scholarship is open to high school seniors who are currently enrolled in the United States.
Must I understand the English Language to apply for the scholarship?
A sufficient understanding of the English Language is required.
Is the scholarship need- or merit-based?
The scholarship is merit-based. Financial needs are considered, however.
Will there be an assessment test after I have submitted my application?
There will be no assessment after your application.
Will I have to write an essay?
Yes, you will have to write an essay when you apply for the NHS Scholarship.
The sponsor of the NHS Scholarship, the National Honor Society is committed to helping students achieve their secondary education goals. To achieve this objective, NHS provides the resources to students and their families to help with the planning process. Since the inception of the NHS Scholarship in 1946, more than $19 million in scholarships has been awarded to outstanding NHS senior members.
We hope the information you find here is enough to win you the NHS Scholarship. Best of luck with your application.