The need for Financial aid is a primary reason why many Hispanic students do not complete a bachelor’s degree. To counter this, the SHPE (Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers) offers thousands of reasons to ensure its members reach graduation. Since its inception, over a million candidates have been sponsored through the SHPE Scholarship. With 200+ scholarships totalling over $1,000,000 awarded in the last edition, SHPE is actively narrowing the gap in the Hispanic STEM education pipeline.
We have provided up-to-date information about the SHPE Scholarship in this article. We have also provided tips that will surely increase your chances of winning the scholarship. Should you have any questions at the end of the article, you may proceed to the official website of SHPE to learn more.
Do have an enlightening time reading.
SHPE SCHOLARSHIP: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
The SHPE Scholarship is a program for undergraduate students enrolled full time in a degree program in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) fields in the hope of ensuring more Hispanic students graduate from their programs in universities and colleges in the United States.
Although you may apply in the case you do not have Hispanic ancestry, applicants that descended from a direct line are given preference over the rest.
FIELD OF STUDY
The SHPE Scholarship can only be used in the STEM fields. These include Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
You must have Hispanic origin to apply for the scholarship.
- Applicants must be members of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE).
- They must be graduating high school seniors, current undergraduates, or entering graduate students.
- Be pursuing degrees in STEM-related fields.
- Must have a GPA of 2.75 or higher. Selection is based on the overall strength of the application.
$2,000 is awarded to each of the winners of the scholarship.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are available online. You will be required to submit the following during your application:
- Application form
- Official transcript
- Personal statement
- Two recommendation letters
The application for the SHPE Scholarship is due on 30 April.
TIPS TO WIN THE SHPE SCHOLARSHIP
- Have a strong academic performance: Your GPA speaks volumes about your devotion to academics. Although a minimum GPA of 2.75 is required for this scholarship, students with the highest GPAs are selected before the others.
- Complete the application before the deadline: For every scholarship, applications submitted after the fixed deadline will not be considered. This is why you might want to start your application early so that you will have the luxury of time to properly go over every detail before the deadline.
- Properly go over your resume: You may want to consult online resources when you write your resume. Research what a proper resume should look like and the needed information (since a student resume is a little tricky).
- Get letters of recommendation from reputable people: You will need to submit 1 or 2 recommendation letters from teachers, coaches, mentors, etc. Ideally, these people can speak to your strengths in academics, community service, and potential to thrive in college. Your teacher or mentor will need to submit the letter of recommendation through a link provided from the application portal. Ensure to let them know at least 2 weeks in advance before you send them the link. That way, they will know when to expect it and be able to schedule sufficient time to write the letter.
BENEFITS OF WINNING THE TERRY SCHOLARSHIP
- The SHPE Scholarship pays for your education and can actually reduce your risk of dropping out and not getting the degree you want. By reducing your financial concerns, a scholarship can mean more time for learning and studying, which can lead to better grades and increase your chances of continuing on to postgraduate studies.
- A scholarship like the SHPE Scholarship can make you a more attractive job candidate. Employers who understand the competitive nature of the scholarship will recognise it as an accomplishment that demonstrates your excellent academic capabilities. Scholarships are accomplishments worth listing on your resume and will surely help you stand out when you search for a job.
- The money and security afforded by winning the SHPE Scholarship allow you to be more selective regarding how you spend your free time. Students can then use this time wisely and make the most of it. Instead of working at any minimum-wage job you can find to support yourself, you can select work that is meaningful which also adds value to your degree.
How to Apply: The application for the SHPE Scholarship is online. Kindly proceed here to do that.
Supporting Documents: Recommendation letter, application form, personal statement, official transcript, resume, and professional headshot photo.
Basic Requirements: To be considered for SHPE Scholarship, you must have a strong academic performance, be Hispanic, and be enrolled in a STEM course.
Language Requirement: Sufficient understanding of the English Language.
SHPE official website: Visit here.
About the SHPE Scholarship: Visit here.
Facebook profile: Visit here.
Twitter profile: Visit here.
Administrator: SHPE (Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers).
Departments: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
Language requirement: Applicants must have a sufficient understanding of the English Language.
What is the SHPE Scholarship?
The SHPE Scholarship is for undergraduate students enrolled full time in a degree program in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) field. The onjective is to ensure more Hispanic students graduate from university and college programs in the United States.
Who runs the scholarship?
The SHPE Scholarship is sponsored by the SHPE (Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers).
How can I apply for the scholarship?
The application for the scholarship has been discussed in one of the earlier parts. Kindly check the section on how to apply to see the walkthrough.
What course can I study with the scholarship?
You can only study a STEM course with the scholarship.
Is the scholarship renewable?
The SHPE Scholarship is non-renewable. It is a single time payment.
What are the requirements to be eligible for the scholarship?
To be eliglble for the scholarship, you must have Hispanic ancestry, demonstrate strong academic performance, and be enrolled in a STEM program.
Can I apply for the scholarship as a high school senior?
You can apply as a high school senior who is joining a college in the next academic year.
Can I apply for the scholarship if I am a freshman at a university?
You can apply for the scholarship as long as you are enrolled in a university for either an undergraduate or a graduate program.
Must I understand the English Language to apply for the scholarship?
Yes, the use of English Language is crucial.
Is the scholarship need- or merit-based?
The SHPE Scholarship is purely merit-based. The strongest of applications wins the scholarship.
Will there be an assessment test after I have submitted my application?
No, there will be no assessment.
Will I have to write an essay?
No, you will not have to write an essay.
The SHPE Scholarship presents an opportunity to high school seniors, undergraduates, and graduate students who have Hispanic heritage and want a scholarship to see themselves through college. Winners of the scholarship receive as much as $2,000 that can be used for anything. This could be tuition, housing, meals, or transport.
Should you have an answer about the scholarship, you may proceed to the FAQs. You may also want to read the tips we have provided.
We wish you the best of luck with your application!