The Terry Scholarship, known as the Terry Traditional Scholarship, is awarded to high school seniors in Texas who have been accepted for admission to one of the Terry-affiliated public universities in Texas. With this scholarship, you can rest assured you will receive an award that covers eight semesters from the start of your program.
Recipients for the Terry Scholarship are chosen based on their desire to succeed. Typically, they have a history of community leadership. The scholarship money can be used to cover tuition, books, fees, and reasonable living expenses on campus.
In this article, you will learn about the Terry Scholarship, how to increase your chances of winning, and see answers to questions that you may have. Do have an enjoyable time!
TERRY SCHOLARSHIP: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
Based in Houston, The Terry Foundation which runs the Terry Scholarship is the largest private scholarship provider in the state of Texas. This award-winning scholarship program was founded to help outstanding high school graduates and transfer students help themselves through access to quality education at 13 Texas public universities.
Applications for the Terry Scholarship are available from the universities and are not available from the Foundation or from high schools. The Traditional Scholarship is renewable annually at the discretion of the Directors, which is automatic unless the scholar is notified to the contrary.
FIELD OF STUDY
The scholarship can be used in any field of study.
You must be a resident of the United States to be eligible for this scholarship.
- The applicant must be a United States citizen or a permanent resident.
- Must meet Texas residency requirements.
- Candidates must also qualify for in-state tuition and for federal financial aid assistance.
- Applicants must demonstrate strong academic abilities, as evidenced by grades and SAT/ACT scores.
- The applicant must have a record of leadership in school and in his community.
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need. They must complete FAFSA at the time of application.
- Must have graduated from an accredited Texas high school or homeschool. Applicants who have taken a gap year immediately following their graduation from high school are not eligible for consideration.
To maintain eligibility after you have been awarded the Terry Scholarship, you must:
- Submit the FAFSA each year.
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- Enrol full-time each semester (minimum 12 hours) at Texas A&M in face-to-face courses.
- Attend the Terry Scholars Orientation in August.
- Attend the Terry Banquet in October.
- Attend the Terry Picnic in April/May.
- Participate in a designated First-Year Experience Course and mentor program through the Terry Scholars Organization during your first year at A&M.
- Live in Hobby Hall in the Terry Scholars Cluster your first year (unless you are in the Corps of Cadets).
HOW TO APPLY
The application for the Terry Scholarship is available only from the universities. It is not available from the Foundation or from high schools; hence, you can only get it from the eleven universities listed below.
- The University of Texas-Austin
- Texas A&M University
- University of Houston
- Texas State University
- The University of Texas-Dallas
- The University of Texas-San Antonio
- Texas Tech University
- University of North Texas
- Texas Woman’s University
- The University of Texas-Arlington
- The University of Texas-El Paso
The deadline for application varies. Kindly get in touch with any of the affiliated universities closest to you to check.
TIPS TO WIN THE TERRY SCHOLARSHIP
- File FAFSA: You must demonstrate financial needs to be considered for the Terry Scholarship. To do this, you have to proceed here and complete the application. In the case you are selected as a recipient of the award, note that you must reapply for FAFSA every year to qualify for renewal of the scholarship.
- Have a strong academic performance: Your GPA speaks volumes about your devotion to academics. Although the minimum GPA you must maintain after you have received the scholarship is 2.5, the Terry Scholarship considers this strongly before awarding the scholarship in the first place. Having a stellar academic performance gives you an extra opportunity.
- Complete the application before the deadline: For every scholarship, applications submitted after the fixed deadline will not be considered. This is why you might want to start your application early so that you will have the luxury of time to properly go over every detail before the deadline.
- Write a strong essay: Should you be asked to write an essay when you apply for the Terry Scholarship, ensure you give it your best. Research the topic properly, use the right words, and tender a convincing argument. You may not need to worry about this, however.
- Get letters of recommendation from reputable people: You will need to submit 1 or 2 recommendation letters from teachers, coaches, mentors, etc. Ideally, these people can speak to your strengths in academics, community service, and potential to thrive in college. Your teacher or mentor will need to submit the letter of recommendation through a link provided from the application portal. Ensure to let them know at least 2 weeks in advance before you send them the link. That way, they will know when to expect it and be able to schedule sufficient time to write the letter.
BENEFITS OF WINNING THE TERRY SCHOLARSHIP
- The Terry Scholarship pays for your education and can actually reduce your risk of dropping out and not getting the degree you want. By reducing your financial concerns, a scholarship can mean more time for learning and studying, which can lead to better grades and increase your chances of continuing on to postgraduate studies.
- A scholarship like the Terry Scholarship can make you a more attractive job candidate. Employers who understand the competitive nature of the scholarship will recognise it as an accomplishment that demonstrates your excellent academic capabilities. Scholarships are accomplishments worth listing on your resume and will surely help you stand out when you search for a job.
- The money and security afforded by winning the Terry Scholarship allow you to be more selective regarding how you spend your free time. Students can then use this time wisely and make the most of it. Instead of working at any minimum-wage job you can find to support yourself, you can select work that is meaningful which also adds value to your degree.
How to Apply: The application for the Terry Scholarship is available only from the universities. It is not available from the Foundation or from high schools; hence, you can only get it from the eleven universities listed below.
Supporting Documents: No supporting document is required.
Basic Requirements: To be considered for Terry Scholarship, you must have a strong academic performance, be involved in the community, have leadership skills, and be involved in extracurricular activities. You must also be a legal resident of the United States.
Language Requirement: Sufficient understanding of the English Language.
Terry Foundation official website: Visit here.
About the Terry Scholarship: Visit here.
Current scholars: Visit here.
Facebook profile: Visit here.
Twitter profile: Visit here.
Administrator: Terry Foundation.
Departments: All departments.
Language requirement: Applicants must have a sufficient understanding of the English Language.
What is the Terry Scholarship?
The Terry Scholarship is awarded to high school seniors in Texas who have been accepted for admission to one of the Terry-affiliated public universities in Texas. With this scholarship, you can rest assured you will receive an award that covers eight semesters from the start of your program.
Who runs the scholarship?
The Terry Scholarship is sponsored by the Terry Foundation.
How can I apply for the scholarship?
The application for the scholarship is through an affiliated university. Kindly check the section on how to apply to see which one is closest to you.
What course can I study with the scholarship?
You can study any course of your choice with the scholarship.
Is the scholarship renewable?
The Terry Scholarship is renewable. It runs throughout your undergraduate program.
What are the requirements to be eligible for the scholarship?
To be eliglble for the scholarship, you must be a legal resident of the United States, demonstrate strong academic performance, be relevant in your community through pro bono projects, and be a high school senior.
Can I apply for the scholarship as a high school senior?
The Terry Scholarship is open to high school seniors.
Can I apply for the scholarship if I am a freshman at a university?
The scholarship is open only to high school seniors. As an undergraduate, you cannot apply for the scholarship.
Must I understand the English Language to apply for the scholarship?
Yes, the use of English Language is crucial.
Is the scholarship need- or merit-based?
The Terry Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship that factors in your financial needs. You must complete FAFSA before you are considered for this scholarship.
Will there be an assessment test after I have submitted my application?
No, there will be no assessment.
Will I have to write an essay?
No, you will not have to write an essay.
The Terry Scholarship presents an opportunity to high school seniors who plan to enrol in college in the academic year following their graduation. As the scholarship is open to residents of Texas, you can apply for the scholarship only through affiliated universities. And because of the removal of two universities from the list of thirteen, there are now eleven universities where you can apply for the scholarship.
Should you have an answer about the scholarship, you may proceed to the FAQs. You may also want to read the tips we have provided.
We wish you the best of luck in your application!