Education in the United States is expensive. Unless you have a large resource or are ready to work part-time and incur student loans, you might find finishing college an impossible task. As a domestic student who dreams of studying in a United States college, the PEO Star Scholarship is one to consider strongly.
We have provided up-to-date information to the last detail in this article. Should you be looking for succinct answers to some questions, you may proceed to the section on FAQs. Also, we have provided tips that will increase your chances of winning the PEO Star Scholarship.
Have a nice time reading.
PEO STAR SCHOLARSHIP: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
The scholarship is a non-renewable $2,500 award for graduating women in their final year of high school which must be used in the academic year following graduation or it will be forfeited.
At the discretion of the recipient, funds may be paid directly to the recipient or to the accredited educational institution. Funds used for tuition and fees or required books and equipment are usually non-taxable for income tax purposes. Funds used for room and board might be reportable income for tax purposes. Recipients and their families will decide on the use of funds and will be responsible for any taxes incurred. Recipients and their families should seek professional tax guidance.
FIELD OF STUDY
There are no restrictions on where the scholarship can be used. You can choose any course after high school.
The scholarship is open to citizens of the United States and Canada.
To be eligible for the scholarship, you must:
- Be a lady in her high school senior year.
- Exhibit excellence in leadership, academics, extracurricular activities, community service, and show potential for future success.
- Have a minimum cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Be in the final academic year of your high school education and be 20 years of age or under at the end of the calendar year.
- Be a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States or Canada.
- Plan to attend an accredited post-secondary educational institution in the United States or Canada full-time or part-time in the fall of the academic year following high school graduation.
- Be recommended by and receive the vote of a local P.E.O. chapter.
The applications of individuals who satisfy these eligibility criteria will be evaluated on a nondiscriminatory basis without consideration of race, age, national origin, religious affiliation, disability or P.E.O. connection.
Winners of the PEO Star Scholarship receive $2,500 in cash prize.
HOW TO APPLY
When a local chapter identifies a prospective applicant, the local STAR Scholarship chair will arrange an interview to assess her eligibility. If the chapter votes to recommend the applicant, the chair oversees the online application process.
The chapter will advise the applicant that she will be emailed instructions for logging into her online account to complete her portion of the application. Submission of the Chapter Recommendation Form must be made online, following the online instructions, between August 15 and October 15.
The Student Profile, Student Activity Charts, original one-page essay, two references, and unofficial high school transcript (through the junior year) must be submitted online no later than 30 calendar days after the applicant has received a link with login information. Canadian applicants must also include their Province Conversion Grading Scale.
The application for the PEO Star Scholarship is due on 1 November 2022.
TIPS TO WIN THE PEO STAR SCHOLARSHIP
- Stand out academically. To qualify for the PEO Star Scholarship, you must show you are more than an average student in the United States high schools. To emerge as one of the winners, you may want to be among the applicants with the highest GPA. Having a solid academic performance shown by a GPA of 3.50 or above gets you further before the contest even begins.
- Be involved in your community. To win the PEO Star Scholarship, you must be recommended by PEO’s ranking members. Ensure you make a good impression by being involved in community projects to earn this recommendation.
- Be composed at your interview. If you qualify as a semifinalist and you are sent an invitation for an interview, ensure you give it your best, as you are only a step from clinching the award. Before you go for the interview, prepare for all kinds of questions they may throw at you. This ensures you are better prepared to face a question and answer it to the best of your ability. Also, dress neatly and corporately.
- Provide letters of recommendation from reputable people in your community. This is another document that you will be required to submit online when the application begins. Because many scholarship boards ask for this, it is advisable you get a few of them from now so you can use them for those applications when they begin. The person signing the recommendation letter may be a religious leader, a reputable entrepreneur, a high-ranking government official, or anyone recognised in the community.
BENEFITS OF WINNING THE PEO STAR SCHOLARSHIP
- You do not have to worry much about your tuition fee. Although the award from the PEO Star Scholarship is not close to the tuition fee for your program, the prize goes a long way. With a part-time job or other additional resources, you can easily pay your tuition fee for your program at the university of your choice.
- You can afford more with the scholarship. The scholarship makes your finances robust. With the scholarship, you have spare cash for an extra cup of coffee every day, or extra cash to buy that gadget you have had in mind for a while.
How to Apply: The local chapter identifies prospective applicants. These candidates are sent login details to complete an online profile on the official website.
Supporting Documents: No supporting document is required.
Basic Requirements: To be considered for the PEO Star Scholarship, you must have a strong academic performance, be a citizen of the United States or Canada, have leadership skills, and be recommended by a PEO official.
Language Requirement: Sufficient understanding of the English Language.
About the sponsor: Visit here.
About PEO Star Scholarship: Visit here.
Facebook profile: Visit here.
Twitter profile: Visit here.
Contact information: 515-255-3153.
Departments: All departments.
Nationality: The United States and Canada.
Language requirement: Applicants must have a sufficient understanding of the English Language.
What is the scholarship?
The PEO Star Scholarship is a non-renewable $2,500 scholarship for graduating high school senior women which must be used in the academic year following graduation or it will be forfeited.
Who runs the scholarship?
The PEO Star Scholarship is administered by the Philanthropic Educational Organisation. The objective of the organisation is to celebrate the advancement of women, educate them through scholarships, and motivate them to achieve their highest aspirations.
How can I apply for the scholarship?
The local chapter identifies prospective applicants. These candidates are sent login details to complete an online profile on the official website.
What course can I study with the scholarship?
You can study any course of your choice with the scholarship.
When is the deadline for the scholarship?
The application for the scholarship is due on 1 November 2022.
What is the worth of the scholarship?
The PEO Star Scholarship is worth $2,500.
What are the core values considered in the applications?
Academic excellence, recommendations from others, and the potential to succeed are among the values considered.
Where can I use the scholarship?
The scholarship is tenable at any university of your choice.
Is the scholarship renewable?
The PEO Star Scholarship is a one-time payment that should be used for academic reasons alone.
What are the requirements to be eligible for the scholarship?
To be eligible for the scholarship, you must be a lady in her senior year in high school, have a minimum GPA of 3.0, and be a resident of the United States or Canada.
Can I apply for the scholarship as a high school senior?
Yes, you can apply for the scholarship as a senior in an American or Canadian high school.
Can I apply for the scholarship if I am a freshman at a university?
You can only apply for the scholarship as a high school senior.
Must I understand the English Language to apply for the scholarship?
As an applicant for the scholarship, you must have a sufficient understanding of the English Language.
Is the scholarship need- or merit-based?
The scholarship is merit-based.
Will there be an assessment test after I have submitted my application?
There will be no assessment test.
Will I have to write an essay?
You will have to write a one-page essay in the case you are selected to apply for the scholarship.
What are the documents I have to submit?
There are no required documents.
The PEO Star Scholarship aims to celebrate the advancement of women in the American and Canadian systems. By making scholarships available to female students, the Philanthropic Educational Organisation helps women continue closing the wage gap. There are many fields currently underrepresented by women. Some of the major areas include science, technology, engineering, math (STEM), and corporate finance; all of which the organisation hopes to solve.
We hope you find answers to all the questions that you may have about the scholarship in this article. Best of luck with your application.